Back to Seeking Sirius

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

NaNoWriMo: Relentless flow of words

Day number 7, of 30, with a goal of 1650 words per day.

Without a detailed outline, I can't see how anyone would complete this task. Unless they're willing to accept filler and tangential musings, which if that's how someone is able to write their story--more power to them!

Me, I'm doing it the hard way (of course), and editing into a fairly cohesive manuscript as I go along.

My goal is to produce those 1650 words each day, since if I miss a day, then the next -- or some other day -- will have to be twice or thrice as productive.

Honestly, I find myself too often in the evening checking the word count, and going for one more sentence. Then checking again. And another sentence. How much closer to the goal?

For example, today, I feel like I've written a lot. But the page demands 660 more words.

Okay, I can go back to my outline, and see the next goal, so my characters better get cracking on this scene to fulfill that goal.

In my first story, there was a six-month period when I wrote nothing, because I had no idea of what I should write in order to get to the end.

In the end, I am assured, it simply comes down to putting one more word on the page. Just like walking through life, I'm guessing. One step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. So much fiction is tangential musings = where authors insert their own "message." Easily overdone.

    ReplyDelete