Back to Seeking Sirius

Monday, October 15, 2012

Challenge with First Draft? Write the Sequel: NaNoWriMo

As I wrote the first draft of my story, the characters and line of logic became stronger and more focused. And, the beginning third got left behind.

Come up with more drama, less prose, and that first part stands a chance of keeping the reader's attention.

Probably not a good idea, however, to introduce a completely new source of drama in the first part. On the other hand, I could move some sources of tension into the story sooner.

A decision must be made. Is one of the current bad guys really bad, or is he just inept? If he's really bad, then he would be capable of the action I planned for him in the second book of this trilogy. But if he's inept, then he fits the need for the first book -- and all badness focuses on the one, true evil guy.

My solution: write the second book. Then I will know with certainty the threads that must be laid in the first book.

NaNoWriMo, or more specifically NoNaNoWriMo (November National Novel Writing Month), is close. Can I do a first draft in one month? Gulp. It took me two years for this first draft. Nothing ventured out onto the NaNoWriMo limb, no potential leap into the multiple book realm gained.

I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment