Back to Seeking Sirius

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Convenient Rock Outcropping on a Space Station?

I am crafting my first conflict scene that requires specific physical placements for people and things. In this situation, Alexa finds she must offer something of value (which also happens to be important to her emotionally) to convince the current bad guy to not carry out his threatened dastardly deed, i.e. truly and deeply damage her friend.

But, why doesn't the bad guy just shoot her, and take what he wants? If I was that bad guy, that's what I would do. It's the simplest, most straight-forward manner in which to accomplish the assigned goal.

Thus, for the first time I find the need to map out physical protection for Alexa, that also logically allows for the swapping of said item for said friend. A rock outcropping would do nicely, except they're on a space station where such an outcropping, at best, would be restricted to some very public garden.

I will default to convenient corners in a remote corridor.

Once I have the hallways mapped out for ingress and egress for all parties, the timing of the comings and goings becomes very important.

Plot line: Alexa and her friend blithely stumble along into some unprotected area of the station. Her friend is captured and held hostage for the item in Alexa's possession. Alexa convinces the bad guy to -- instead of really, really hurting her friend -- accept something much prettier and shinier.

But, why doesn't the bad guy just shoot her, after she's made the bauble available to him? That's what I would do as a bad guy, so I could further search for the item I have been instructed to collect, and probably would only get paid or avoid punishment if I deliver it back to the client.

Solving this is an area where I'm more conversant: Alexa is saved by some appropriate person, carrying their own hand weapon to ward off the logical shoot and run situation. Of course, logic becomes more and more important each time Alexa's tuckus is saved by the timely arrival of some savior.

I'm still working on this part of the plot.

I will probably end up with some big piece of paper (or my white board), drawing lines and arrows, and Xs and Ys, that would look like football strategies being planned in a half-time locker room meeting.

Do you think a football game will ever be played on a space station? Probably just about as likely as a rock outcropping showing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment