Back to Seeking Sirius

Monday, August 20, 2012

Avoiding an Idiot Protagonist

So. I'm clicking along on the computer keys, feeling like I've got a pretty good wind at my back (to mix metaphors), and the sound track in my head screeches like a needle across a vinyl record (even more metaphors, and ancient, at that).

Argh! The fabulous interchange I just honed results in Alexa, my main protagonist, figuring out more about what's happening than is appropriate for her at this point. Way more.

I could just have her slide over this little nugget of logic in the conversation. But then, she'd have to be an idiot. An idiot protagonist is not a terrible thing. It's just not this story.

Therefore, I'm faced with:
1. radically modifying this interchange between Alexa and Newcastle, to avoid her getting to this point; or
2. allowing her the bit of knowledge, and gamely writing on to just see where this takes me

Don't know what I will do. This will probably take a day or two of working through the ramifications. Maybe I should find some mindless busy work-type of project for my hands, which often produces a few nice insights and vignettes for the story in my head.

Actually, this may take a more than one mindless project. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment