Back to Seeking Sirius

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The label of Science Fiction

Science fiction: is it fiction about a speculative universe? Must it have a good emphasis on science? Does having the story line in the future count for that appellation? Why does the setting of deep space, or a planet other than Earth, count toward the right to the title of Science Fiction?

I don't really have an answer for each question, and it turns out that I probably wouldn't fill the bill in the amount of science I am including in my story. But I had to get the story line off Earth and into the future to reach escape velocity from my own boundaries about what can happen. It's working. I think. I hope.

Plus, "Science fiction" is the best way for me to describe the genre, if someone asks about my story. And the best manner to avoid going into too much detail about the plot. 

Speaking of plot: Alexa is on the space station, and coming across both mundane and surprising aspects of life inside a bit of metal in the midst of deep vacuum. Wherever humanity is, that's where humanity shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment