Back to Seeking Sirius

Monday, July 16, 2012

The right balance for violence or the threat of violence

Alexa is now on the space station, having spurned Pearson.

The first scene is in an initial draft. This is a first effort in threatened intentional violence; difficult for me since I am essentially a wimp when it comes to tension and violence in television or the movies. As a kid, I would inevitably run out of the theater whenever Godzilla began wreaking havoc (my, how this dates me) and that tendency continues today. In fact, I put off trying my hand at fiction because of a desire to avoid adding the influence of drama or scary things like violence into my life. I am, truly, a wimp.

There is a fine balance to threats and violence: too little, and the scene is a dud; too much or too graphic for the context, and you lose your reader. I'm hopeful I found a good balance.

A personal note: My half sister, Soraya Edwards, unexpectedly passed away yesterday, at age 19. A strong, diligent, happy young woman -- she would fit the mold of a truly enjoyable heroine in any story. She is deeply mourned.

No comments:

Post a Comment