Back to Seeking Sirius

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Found: the roadmap for this story

A month, or lifetime, later.

The book "Memory" by Lois McMaster Bujold is incredibly masterful. So, I am emulating it -- at least its general outline of plotting points. A bit ago, I summarized the plot each step of the way through the book, and then crystalized those steps into more generalized activities.

Her device of using a secondary drama to be a counterpoint and to help solve the primary drama was the best lesson out of that activity.

When I came to a muddle, and was wondering "where am I, anyway, in this story," I went to those plot steps of hers. Even to the point of listing my own plot each step of the way.

Lo and behold, I had been missing the point of my story. I have been writing as if the secondary drama was the primary one! This one exercise, and now I'm much more clear on what is primary and what is secondary. And thus what must happen along the way to the climax and then end of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment